Thursday, June 11, 2015

Food storage Pizza!






Food Storage: Pizza

If you ask most kids the most universally liked food may very well be pizza. When you are thinking about living life without electricity, why would you want to stress your kids out feeding them only porridge, soups and beans? Yes traditional wisdom says these are easy to store foods and easy to make post electricity but why not make sure you have some comfort foods along as well. Pizza can and should be a food storage meal.

When I think of fast and easy, bread dough does not come to mind. In fact I do not even store wheat berries right now. I figure it is pointless until I own a wheat grinder. So we are stocked up on the easier to cook and start of multi ethnic cuisines rice. In order to store pizza you need some sort of dough, but I say skip all the work and store Boboli. What is this? Well it is a premade Pizza crust that is vacuumed packed and stored on the shelf of your grocery store. Usually hanging next to the pepperoni that is also shelf stable. I will agree that these options are a little pricey, but still much cheaper than a trip to Pizza Hut. They are good for approximately six months after purchase. Which for me is a little light on the food storage storability.  However we eat pizza every week so rotating this should be quite a bit easier than porridge, soups and beans anyway.

Once you have the dough figured out then the sauce and topping are pretty easy, until you get to cheese. Right now there are three options for cheese. Good: make your own from canned milk Better: Freeze mozzarella and make sure your freezer works after an EMP Best: Buy some freeze dried cheese. Thrive is supposed to be a good brand. http://www.thrivelife.com/shredded-mozzarella-cheese-freeze-dried.html

So there you have it Pizza as a food storage food and after looking at the Boboli calorie count and how light and flexible the product is I am seeing it as a great contender for my bug out bags. I bet my kids would eat it plain.

No comments:

Post a Comment